Skip to main content

7.31.10

Seriously, is it really already August?  Where oh where did my summer go?  Oh yeah, surgery, recovery, and more surgery.  I really thought these first couple months would be harder than they were; honestly I think that had I not had the c section and gall bladder removal, it would have been a breeze--and I'd probably be even more bummed about daycare and going back to work.  It hit me tonight and I kind of lost it; one more week with Harper and then I hand her over for 8-9 hours a day to someone I don't know...weird how I'm not entirely OK with this prospect.  But, after budget discussions we just can't afford to be a one income household right now.  Erich is looking into some other jobs, but it would still only be feasible to drop to part-time...sad pandas!

I never thought I'd want to stay home with her, but as it turns out, I actually enjoy listening to Veggie Tales and watching her mobile with her and changing diapers and getting puked on and narrating everything I do to her and pretty much all the little things I never thought would be enjoyable in the slightest.  Now, there is that whole give and take thing; I certainly don't enjoy her cranky times with crying lags and poopy diapers and the puking when it's down by shirt and I'm not wearing a bra and it's, well, gross.  But I really enjoy this time with her.  At my company we have outsourced business to people in Ireland; shortly before I went on maternity leave a gal there had her baby, and I overheard someone say she will be out for at least a year, which is actually shorter than their average maternity leave, but all that their company would cover for Short Term Disability.  WTF?  I only get 6 weeks despite the fact I had the c-section, and still don't know what they're going to allow with the gall bladder surgery.  I suppose it could be worse; a friend who works for the state didn't even get paid maternity leave...but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I'd love to spend the first year with Harper.  Maybe I should look into an extended leave...but let's face it, I'd never want to go back to work if  I did that.  Le sigh...

I have tons of new pictures of Harper, and they're sitting next to my laptop on my camera, just waiting to be uploaded.  Unfortunately I have misplaced the adaptor, so you'll have to wait for new photos.  They're good ones!  I try to do photo shoots with her each day in order to show off all the outfits she's received...even if she's probably on going to get to wear them once.  And in some cases, that's pushing it.  These babies grow too fast! It makes me sad to see the bag of clothes I have in her closet...it just keeps growing with things that no longer fit her.   Erich and I have some ideas for some fun photos with her, but it's a two person job, and he has a cold this weekend, so maybe next weekend.  I won't give anything away, but one of them may be Harry Potter related...that's all I'm saying! 

They Come In Threes...
So, around the time I had Harper, my mom was having some major pain in her foot.  Since she's a nurse and on her feet most of the day, she found this to be a nuisance and went to the dr.  She found out she had broken the middle bone in her foot, and would be in a walking book for at least 6 weeks--and thus not be able to work.  She still has no idea how she broke it...  My sister went on a tubing trip this weekend; my brother in law called me tonight to tell me that they were sitting in the ER--it took them about 10 minutes to convince me it wasn't a prank.  She was cliff diving (which baffles my mind because she is scared of heights) and landed wrong and chipped a bone in her foot and tore a ligament.  She is also in a walking boot, but only for about a week.  I keep waiting to trip down the stairs and break a leg as well.  I told my sister the least she could have done was plan it around my maternity leave so we could hang out. 

Erich and I kind of forgot about our anniversary on Monday; we told each other goodbye that morning, and then I looked at the calendar and saw the word, "anniversary" written on the date.  Oops.  He got a "Happy Anniversary" text.  I expected flowers, to which he said he thought about, but figured a better gift was coming home on time to relieve me...little did he know my mom was there all day.  Oh well!  We treated each other to some Valentinos and then a nice family walk around Southpointe.  I'm still waiting on those flowers Erich! 

We had plans tonight to watch our DVRd shows, then eat dinner, then watch Alice in Wonderland...Someone didn't want to cooperate, so it looks like it's dinner and off to bed...we're not to exciting these days.  Ahh, parenthood!  I long for the days when she's moving and talking...and pooping in a toliet :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the heck's a woombie?

So, today's post is dedicated to the freaky baby items I've found online (we are not expecting, but are expecting to be expecting sometime this year, so I wanted to check out the market on baby stuff). I'm not saying this stuff isn't useful, it may very well be the best item there is, but I think they're weird. And so, in no particular order... * Nosefrida Nasal Aspirator: it's a doctor invented and doctor recommended snot sucker. An electric snot sucker. With built in filters. My question is, who is changing said filters? Not me, thank you. Then again, with the manual ones I bet you have to empty them somehow. Eww. Also, this doesn't actually go into their nose, it sucks it all out from the base of the nostril--that sounds like fun. Oh, and did I mention the suction is coming from your mouth? * Zaky --the tag line? It's like leaving a part of you with your baby. Yeah, if you have big creepy muppet hands maybe. I think the picture says enough about t

September is here!

Well, it's practically here. Where did August go? Where did the summer weather go? I don't care, it's Fall weather here in Nebraska and I hope it's going to stay well into November. Ahh, September, it's my favorite month...and not just because it's my birthday month 29 on the 9th, it's kind of a golden birthday-9/9/09, so that means extra gifts, right? Right. We are very busy this month. This weekend is the first Husker game of the season, so my mom and I are getting out of dodge to visit my sister (I am displeased to learn that my brother in law is renting the game, I can't escape it!). We're going to a pirate festival, and a carnival, and to this awesome little kitchen store in downtown Independence. So excited for family fun. My nephew told me I can sleep in his bed, but only if I wear underwear...um, deal? Erich has many options that weekend, we have an engagement party in York, going to the game, watching the game...who knows how crazy he'll

Good Bye First Trimester!

I can't believe that I will be 12 weeks prego next week, it has gone by so fast. It's hellped that I haven't have any sickness, which I am very grateful for. I've kind of have the opposite; I am hungry but nothing sounds appetizing, so as a result I've lost weight. I got a nice little lecture from my dr last week, so I've been trying to eat more, and I think after this weekend, I have to have put on at least 10 pounds! Friday night we had Applebees where we polished off mozzarella sticks, I had a steak and potatoes and veggies, all so tasty! Then today we had Hu Hot for lunch, and just had McDonalds for dinner. I didn't say it was healthy, but it was definitely fattening! I seem to be getting my energy back, there for a while all I wanted to do was sleep. I could still sleep all day, but today I noticed I wanted to do some chores, so I guess that's an improvement. I've also had some lower back pain, which seems to be worse when I sit, which