Skip to main content

Is Summer over yet?

Not that I'm complaining...well, I guess I am complaining. But this heat is too much.  I'll admit it, I'm not a summer person; growing up I went to the pool and whatnot with the kids, but other than that, I was inside reading a book. So this 100 plus heat is driving me crazy, especially during a time of year where sitting inside while at a bbq is really a non option.  Although, the last two bbqs I frequented we did just that, and waited until the heat somewhat subsided to go outside.  But generally speaking, it's socially unacceptable...

We had a great 4th of July.  Abbey hates the fireworks, and we begin feeling her wrath as soon as the first boom hits the neighborhood, which is usually before July. Gotta love our patriotic neighbors, huh?  So, we decided to go to York for the 4th, as Erich was sure it would be quieter than our neighborhood.  I was sceptic, but I gotta say, during the day you didn't hear a peep. Not even one of those snappers. Now granted, we did spend the day at the pool so we wouldn't have heard Abbey going nuts either way, but still, it's nice to know we have a quiet place for her on this dreaded holiday. 

Our holiday technically started on the 3rd with our traditional 4th of July taco buffet with some friends.  They have a boy a year older than Harper, so they had fun in the pool, and later with a mister hose. I mean, like, screaming, running around like banshees fun.  I wish I could fin something in my life as fun as that.  Harper and I called it a night after the dads tried out some fireworks, and failed. Both kids ended up in tears, wrapped in their mom's arms.  So, we headed home.  I took a little detour so she could see the bigger stuff from afar, safely in an aircondition haven.  She loved those :)

In York, as I said, we spent the day lounging at the pool.  It was so hot, even the water was almost too hot.  But, I'm not going to complain about a free pool and good company.  Harper enjoyed the pool, and liked to pretend to jump in, which was really just her squatting down, and then I would pick her up and pop her into the pool with a splash.  Loved it.  I'm glad she's warming up to the water; last year it was awful.  We're also going to be starting her at Life Strokes, which is a local place that provides toddler lessons. Should be interesting, or at the least, a learning experience. 
Heading to the pool
The night of the 4th we had dinner with Erich's parents and friends, and then attempted to watch a fireworks show...it ended with Harper balled up on my chest, covered with a blanket. HOT. So, we decided to take our little family to a nice field to watch multiple shows.  This worked better, but she was still so tired and hot, and not even paying attention at that point, so we headed back to the house.  Of course, then she was wide awake, so we shot off our little supply of fireworks, and headed to bed.  But not before we introduced Grandma and PopPop to Yo Gabba Gabba, or Gabby as Harper likes to call it.  They play that dumb show at 11pm, and of course we found it on.  It was a particuarly bad episode, and let's just say I think it may now be banned at their house.  "Try it, you'll like it..." doesn't apply to everything I guess.  And I am bummed, I took very few pictures this weekend. :(

We had a nice, loungy Thursday in York.  We picked some green beans from the garden and acquired some delicious sweet corn. Yum.  Harper had a follow up appointment for her tubes, so we headed into town around naptime,and it ended up working pretty great.  She took a little bit of convincing to wake up, but once awake she was such a great kid.  She did everything the doctors asked, and we got great news about the tubes.  One is still in place and doing it's thing; the other has fallen out, and the ear drum is performing as it should without the tube.  Woo hoo!  Let's hope ear infections are a thing of the past! 

That reminded me; Harper had her 2 year appointment last week.  She measured in at 34 inches long, and 28 pounds.  The doctor also commented on her language skills, and what a great talker she is, and how she thinks her two and three word phrases are rather advanced.  So, while she does come off as rather shy and quiet at first, trust me, the kid can talk.  Now, sometimes we don't always know what she's saying, but I'm sure it's all very important information. 
Can you find me?

Today we took Harper to the Omaha zoo for the first time.  It had been a few years for us as well; I think the last time Erich and I went it was before we were engaged.  Harper has been infatuated with Finding Nemo recently.  Like, screaming Nemo! until one of us caves and turns it on.  We probably watch it once a day, if we're lucky. Yeah, you read that right.  So, we figured she would love the aquarium.  She was sort of excited when we walked in, but other than the jellyfish she was rather "ho-hum" about the experience.  We were like, huh?  Where is our kid.  We tried pointing out various things from the movies, like anemones and starfish.  Probably didn't help that the only clownfish we saw in the place were the stuffed ones in the giftshop.  False advertising much lol?  We also only saw one large turtle, but oh well.  We got to see a lot in the 3 hot hours we were there.  You could tell even the animals weren't having it, so most were just laying around looking hot, making me sad and, you guessed it, more hot.  Luckily we came prepared with lots of drinks, as well as snacks and lunch.  I'd say the highlight of Harper's day was eating lunch with a peacock mommy and baby.  They came walking up to our table and practically grabbed the cheeto out of Harper's hand.  It was cute. And then all these people were around us taking pictures of Harper feeding her cheetos.  And can I just say, that beak was covered in cheese dust, so no one, not even peacocks, can eat cheetos without getting messy.  We were in and out in 3 hours, and I'd say that was just the right amount of time.
Let's do this!

Checkout the new baby giraffe


Hold still for one picture!

Jellies!


Pointing out the stingrays

Little monkey


I think this might have been her favorite exhibit.

Cheese!

Gorillas!

Look, Erich came too!

She loves the goats

She didn't touch his butt, I swear

Our peacock friends

A cheeto? Don't mind if I do...



The rest of the weekend is pretty free.  We're visiting the farmer's market tomorrow with my brother in law, niece and nephew, then having family over for dinner.  I'm looking forward to that, and the drop in heat.  Come on weatherman, don't fail me now.  Hope everyone had a safe, cool and fun 4th!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the heck's a woombie?

So, today's post is dedicated to the freaky baby items I've found online (we are not expecting, but are expecting to be expecting sometime this year, so I wanted to check out the market on baby stuff). I'm not saying this stuff isn't useful, it may very well be the best item there is, but I think they're weird. And so, in no particular order... * Nosefrida Nasal Aspirator: it's a doctor invented and doctor recommended snot sucker. An electric snot sucker. With built in filters. My question is, who is changing said filters? Not me, thank you. Then again, with the manual ones I bet you have to empty them somehow. Eww. Also, this doesn't actually go into their nose, it sucks it all out from the base of the nostril--that sounds like fun. Oh, and did I mention the suction is coming from your mouth? * Zaky --the tag line? It's like leaving a part of you with your baby. Yeah, if you have big creepy muppet hands maybe. I think the picture says enough about t

September is here!

Well, it's practically here. Where did August go? Where did the summer weather go? I don't care, it's Fall weather here in Nebraska and I hope it's going to stay well into November. Ahh, September, it's my favorite month...and not just because it's my birthday month 29 on the 9th, it's kind of a golden birthday-9/9/09, so that means extra gifts, right? Right. We are very busy this month. This weekend is the first Husker game of the season, so my mom and I are getting out of dodge to visit my sister (I am displeased to learn that my brother in law is renting the game, I can't escape it!). We're going to a pirate festival, and a carnival, and to this awesome little kitchen store in downtown Independence. So excited for family fun. My nephew told me I can sleep in his bed, but only if I wear underwear...um, deal? Erich has many options that weekend, we have an engagement party in York, going to the game, watching the game...who knows how crazy he'll

One week down

Well, today marks a week that we've been home with Harper, and I've got to say, I think we're doing pretty well. She eats and sleeps good, and really at night were averaging 4-5 hours of sleep. My pain is slowly going away, as is the swelling in my legs. I'm on a weigh restriction for a while yet, and can't carry Harper up or down stairs, which in our house is a problem since it's a tri split level...Luckily we have family to help out, and I can camp out on the upper level now that I can sleep in our bed again. See you later uncomfortable recliner! Harper is awesome. She makes the best faces, and is such a scowler! She is definitely my kid. This photo was taken of me the day I was born, and I can't believe the resemblance to Harper, especially the hand placement, since that is generally where her little fist is. Erich goes back to work on Monday, I can't believe how quick this first week went by. At first I thought it was taking forever, but now