Skip to main content

March 1st

It's already March and that blows my mind. Where did the first two months of 2012 go??  We spent most of February sick. After the flu (which I ended up with) then Erich and Harper both had colds. Coughing, sneezing, runny noses...I somehow stayed healthy until last week, when they took me down! I finally decided to take Harper to the dr for her cough, and found that her left ear has lost it tube, and was infected :( She seems to think that if we give it some time, as she grows the ear canal will begin to drain on it's own, but we'll see how many more infections we go through before that happens.  On the plus side, we learned that oral antibiotics are way cheaper than ear drops. Particularly important when your new insurance plan is HSA only, no copays, and prescriptions are full price. Just saying. 

So, now we all see to be healthy as we enter March.  And luckily, we really don't have much planned, but I'm sure that will change. Erich is travelling to Knoxville TN next week for work, so Harper and I will be having some one on one time. I am working a flex schedule to accomodate morning and evening routines, so hopefully that will be helpful.  I don't forsee any problems, as she is currently a big time Mama's girl, and very rarely lets Erich help her do stuff anyway. But, it's nice to have that second parent to give you break, whether she likes it or not. I think we'll both miss him; luckily it's only 3 days! 

Harper's vocabulary is constantly expanding, I am always surprised by what comes out of her mouth. My favorite thing here lately is when you are playing and she stops, then puts her hand out to you as if to say stop. Then she rambles off something, which we think is basically, I am going to go do something else, but you need to stay here. Stay! Too cute. She also is big about putting her hands out and saying, Where'd ____go?  We created a list of all the words she can say, and it was pretty impressive. We've been working on identifying animals, as she usually calls them by the noise they make, except for dogs and cats, which are all "Abbey". 

Harper has always had issues with her crib, and has never enjoyed going to bed. In January we finally decided that she was old enough to fall asleep in her room, so we began out night time ritual. Around 7:30 we either do a bath or get changed into pjs, then move on to her room for reading books. I love to read to her, so I'll admit, she suckers me into at least 10 books, sometimes more. Note: when the book takes me 2 minutes to read, I think this is more than acceptable. Then she was put into her bed where she cried herself to sleep--usually not more than 5-10 minutes. This was nightly unless she fell asleep while we were reading to her. So, about a week ago we decided to try just putting her mattress on the floor; it worked like a charm. She lays on it, goes to sleep, and by some grace of god stays asleep all night. And when she wakes up, she stays in her room, usually on her bed, until one of us goes in there to get her. So, now the heat is on to find a toddler bed, since we don't have a convertable crib. Note to potential parents out there: get a convertible crib, it's a good idea in the long run.  I'm on a hunt for some at local consignment shops today, and then will probably wait until at least next month for the spring take 2 sale is in town. Good times.

Erich and I went to a local dog expo last weekend in hopes of talking to someone about Abbey's behavioral issues (mainly her barking and chewing of toys). Lo and behold, they had just about everything but that. I was quite disappointed; however we started talking with a couple who reminded me of people who could have been in the cast of Best In Show. They were so nice and friendly, and they had a product they thought could help stop her bad behaviors. It is a small aerosol can that when sprayed makes a noise like a hissing goose. Apparently dogs are instinctually alarmed by this noise, so when they hear it they stop the behavior. Then you reward them. We are suckers and will try anything...and much to our surprise it has worked! While she does still bark and try to get the toys, you need one spray, sometimes you just need to show her the can, and she stops. I highly recommend this item. It is called Pet Corrector. http://www.thedogbedstore.com/product/PETCORRECTOR

We found out a couple weeks ago (and can now officially announce it) that Harper is going to get a new cousin in September!  Erich's brother and sister in law are expecting, due on September 19 (International Talk Like a Pirate Day!). We are all very excited, and maybe this will calm my baby fever for a while lol.  It doesn't help that it feels like everyone around me is getting prego or having babies. But, it will have to wait until after a girls trip in May, otherwise I'd never hear the end of it from a good friend who planned the trip.  Also, Erich and I want to try and take a trip in November/December (either for a friend's wedding, if they ever set a date) to DC or Orlando--um, hello Harry Potter World!! Yes, we may actually go!! So, being with child would make those trips a little less fun. 

Today I am taking Harper to get her first haircut, and I am beyond nervous.  I trust the person doing it, but I keep wondering if it's too soon, or if I'll regret it the minute the first baby tendril hits the floor. Her hair just isn't growing in the back, so I'm hoping that age old adage of cutting your hair so it will grow will come into play here. I also need to get rid of her mullet look she's been rocking. :)

We had a playdate with a some friends a couple weeks ago, and Harper had a blast.  She got to play with Stella, who is a week older than her, and Emily, who will be turning 1 this weekend!  Happy Birthday Emily!  These are about the only new pictures I've taken, so enjoy.  I'll be posting some of her haircut, assuming I go through with it. 


Harper & Stella

Emily & Stella

Dance party!

Hiding in the tent

Emily in the ball pit


Playing in the most awesome play kitchen

Emily cooking

The girls

Harper, Uncle Yo Yo and the alligator head

Where'd it go? (This is her big thing lately)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Bye First Trimester!

I can't believe that I will be 12 weeks prego next week, it has gone by so fast. It's hellped that I haven't have any sickness, which I am very grateful for. I've kind of have the opposite; I am hungry but nothing sounds appetizing, so as a result I've lost weight. I got a nice little lecture from my dr last week, so I've been trying to eat more, and I think after this weekend, I have to have put on at least 10 pounds! Friday night we had Applebees where we polished off mozzarella sticks, I had a steak and potatoes and veggies, all so tasty! Then today we had Hu Hot for lunch, and just had McDonalds for dinner. I didn't say it was healthy, but it was definitely fattening! I seem to be getting my energy back, there for a while all I wanted to do was sleep. I could still sleep all day, but today I noticed I wanted to do some chores, so I guess that's an improvement. I've also had some lower back pain, which seems to be worse when I sit, which

What the heck's a woombie?

So, today's post is dedicated to the freaky baby items I've found online (we are not expecting, but are expecting to be expecting sometime this year, so I wanted to check out the market on baby stuff). I'm not saying this stuff isn't useful, it may very well be the best item there is, but I think they're weird. And so, in no particular order... * Nosefrida Nasal Aspirator: it's a doctor invented and doctor recommended snot sucker. An electric snot sucker. With built in filters. My question is, who is changing said filters? Not me, thank you. Then again, with the manual ones I bet you have to empty them somehow. Eww. Also, this doesn't actually go into their nose, it sucks it all out from the base of the nostril--that sounds like fun. Oh, and did I mention the suction is coming from your mouth? * Zaky --the tag line? It's like leaving a part of you with your baby. Yeah, if you have big creepy muppet hands maybe. I think the picture says enough about t

September is here!

Well, it's practically here. Where did August go? Where did the summer weather go? I don't care, it's Fall weather here in Nebraska and I hope it's going to stay well into November. Ahh, September, it's my favorite month...and not just because it's my birthday month 29 on the 9th, it's kind of a golden birthday-9/9/09, so that means extra gifts, right? Right. We are very busy this month. This weekend is the first Husker game of the season, so my mom and I are getting out of dodge to visit my sister (I am displeased to learn that my brother in law is renting the game, I can't escape it!). We're going to a pirate festival, and a carnival, and to this awesome little kitchen store in downtown Independence. So excited for family fun. My nephew told me I can sleep in his bed, but only if I wear underwear...um, deal? Erich has many options that weekend, we have an engagement party in York, going to the game, watching the game...who knows how crazy he'll