Skip to main content

I never said I was a great correspondant....




..but almost four months between posts is ridiculous! I have no good excuse other than sheer laziness...that and I hate the way blogger posts photos, and it usually irritates me enough to delete my post anyway. So I will try to be better! I'll give some updates of what's kept me so busy, but I have no idea when they happen--I can't even remember what I did last week...

Furniture shopping...Erich and I were under some strange impression that we had this wonderful discount at NFM for furniture through Home Real Estate, so we scoured that store at least four times looking for bookshelves,living room sets, entertainment centers, tvs, deep freezes, kitchen tables, hutches...you name it, we looked at it. And we could not find anything we liked, and by the end of the visit everything had merged into one big lump of data; my photos and notes taken throughout the trip looked like another language. And almost every trip ended in us bickering and leaving upset that we couldn't agree on anything. So, upon our last trip there, we found a table we liked. After speaking with a salesperson we found that the deal would be equal to free delivery, which they were already offering...Le sigh. So, we left. On the plus side, that night we got to meet Ava Rose Stubbe, and had earlier had dinner with the Wollens, so at least the trip wasn't a complete bust ;) A couple weeks later we decided to check out the furniture store in York; Erich had worked there in college and so the owner loves him. And his family. And lo and behold, we found a couch and chair and a half that we loved. It was like, bright lights shining, cherobs singing, look here! look here! We were very excited that day, especially since they do free delivery, and had everything been available, they were willing to let Erich take the delivery truck back to York (silly people!). We are very happy with the couch and chair. The couch is more than long enough for Erich to stretch out on, and the chair is a great place to find Abbey and I reading or napping. The one problem with the furniture, which why anyone would think of this before is really beyond me, is that they are on round globes of wood, so they are elevated about 2-3 inches from the ground...just enough room to constantly lose your tennis ball and then whine about it. Abbey was so creative she came up with a new whine just for the occasion. Very, very frustrating. We were lucky the set came with so many throw pillows, they make a great barrier along the bottom of the couch.

OK, even though posting those two pictures of the couch and chair thoroughly irritated me, I am going to power through!

The Cutting down of the tree: When we moved in, the first thing our next door neighbor told us (or rather, Erich's brother & parents) was that technically, his fence didn't encompass his yard, so about a foot on our side was his. OK, he waited to tell us this until Erich was pouring cement for fence posts (luckily we just needed one for our gate). So, in return for "letting" us use his side and put in a post on his side, he asked Erich to cut down a tree that was too close to his fence (and of course, on our side). We had talked about removing it anyway, so it didn't seem like that big a deal. So, today was the big day. Some friends came by around 9, and the first limb came down fairly easy. The rest of the tree wasn't. In the end they had ropes tied around the trunk, which Erich handled the chainsaw--for the first time. It was both comical and scary at the same time, especially when he was getting dangerously close to his legs, but couldn't hear anyone yelling at him until he shut it off. But, down the tree went. They chopped the wood, bundled the branches and had the yard clear within a hour. The neighbor guy was supervising throughout this. Some of his more awesome moments was when he saw the guys using a 6 foot ladder, and about 30 minutes later asked if his extension ladder would work better. Huh? You think? And then he stood by and watch the event from about 30 feet away. I guess while the guys were chopping the bigger stuff, he was throwing the smaller--I mean, twig sized stuff--back over into our yard. Did I mention he's rather anal about his yard? On the plus side, no one was hurt, and we have one tree down. I really hope this doesn't mean more are coming down. Erich is determined to get rid of our crab apple and black walnut trees. I saw leave 'em alone! From what I can tell, the birds are already pissed from the tree that's missing; they keep circling the ground around it. Poor little guys...

True Blood: OK, this is one thing that has taken up a lot of my time. True Blood is a series on HBO that stemmed from a series of books by Charlaine Stackhouse. I started reading the books in January, before I knew there was a series. So, my sister and I have pretty much been crazy readers and finished the series of 8 books, and are now waiting on the 9th one to either go into paperback or become available at the library--I am currently in 60th place for a book. So, about halfway through the series I found out there was this show on HBO. A friend of mine was telling me about it, and she just thought it was great. My sister watched a couple episodes, and just couldn't get into it--too much differs from the book. So, ever since then I've been waiting for the series to come out on dvd so I could check it out. I saw about half an episode at my sister's, so I was interested to say the least. I got the dvds last Tuesday, and had finished them by Friday--it was only 12 episodes, not a huge feat. I thought they were great; it was very HBO, a lot of sex--I believe there was maybe 3 episodes where they weren't sexing it up. So, the premise of the show is well, complicated. You can read Barnes and Nobles description of the dvd here, so combine that with sex, sex, and more sex.

Well, I think that's good for a while. It's certainly not everything, I still need to talk about our housewarming, Erich's 30th, outsourcing at work, many fun topics to cover in the future!

Comments

Susie said…
PS, things to notice in the couch photo:
1. barrier of pillows and cd cases, as the pillows aren't good enough
2. Long ass tongs with which to retrieve the ball when it goes past my arm's reach.
Meghan Gonzales said…
I'm glad you're back! :)

Popular posts from this blog

What the heck's a woombie?

So, today's post is dedicated to the freaky baby items I've found online (we are not expecting, but are expecting to be expecting sometime this year, so I wanted to check out the market on baby stuff). I'm not saying this stuff isn't useful, it may very well be the best item there is, but I think they're weird. And so, in no particular order... * Nosefrida Nasal Aspirator: it's a doctor invented and doctor recommended snot sucker. An electric snot sucker. With built in filters. My question is, who is changing said filters? Not me, thank you. Then again, with the manual ones I bet you have to empty them somehow. Eww. Also, this doesn't actually go into their nose, it sucks it all out from the base of the nostril--that sounds like fun. Oh, and did I mention the suction is coming from your mouth? * Zaky --the tag line? It's like leaving a part of you with your baby. Yeah, if you have big creepy muppet hands maybe. I think the picture says enough about t

September is here!

Well, it's practically here. Where did August go? Where did the summer weather go? I don't care, it's Fall weather here in Nebraska and I hope it's going to stay well into November. Ahh, September, it's my favorite month...and not just because it's my birthday month 29 on the 9th, it's kind of a golden birthday-9/9/09, so that means extra gifts, right? Right. We are very busy this month. This weekend is the first Husker game of the season, so my mom and I are getting out of dodge to visit my sister (I am displeased to learn that my brother in law is renting the game, I can't escape it!). We're going to a pirate festival, and a carnival, and to this awesome little kitchen store in downtown Independence. So excited for family fun. My nephew told me I can sleep in his bed, but only if I wear underwear...um, deal? Erich has many options that weekend, we have an engagement party in York, going to the game, watching the game...who knows how crazy he'll

Good Bye First Trimester!

I can't believe that I will be 12 weeks prego next week, it has gone by so fast. It's hellped that I haven't have any sickness, which I am very grateful for. I've kind of have the opposite; I am hungry but nothing sounds appetizing, so as a result I've lost weight. I got a nice little lecture from my dr last week, so I've been trying to eat more, and I think after this weekend, I have to have put on at least 10 pounds! Friday night we had Applebees where we polished off mozzarella sticks, I had a steak and potatoes and veggies, all so tasty! Then today we had Hu Hot for lunch, and just had McDonalds for dinner. I didn't say it was healthy, but it was definitely fattening! I seem to be getting my energy back, there for a while all I wanted to do was sleep. I could still sleep all day, but today I noticed I wanted to do some chores, so I guess that's an improvement. I've also had some lower back pain, which seems to be worse when I sit, which